19.6.10

I just have to laugh.


A little background on my "dumpster diving": I'm not actually hopping into a dumpster and scouring through knee deep garbage searching for things. The main place I get my treasures is from our neighborhood dumpster area. We have a community trash compactor (stupid idea, it is very inefficient and stinky) and next to the compactor is a little area designated for bulk items such as couches, tables, chairs, etc. However, people put anything and everything they want in there. I also occasionally pick things up off the curb if I happen to drive by.

Now, don't think that I have a garage full of junk. I don't actually keep everything that I find, a lot of it I give to other people whom I know could get use out of it, or I simply donate stuff to thrift shops so it can get a second chance at life.

I just can't let it end up in a landfill, it's such a waste. Whenever the big trucks come around that pick up the bulk items I make myself not look. Otherwise I get very upset seeing wonderful items (including VERY nice furniture) being sent to their death. I know, I'm weird, but everyone has their quirks. I just know that somewhere out there is a family in need of another dresser, a child who wishes for a bike, but for whatever reason they don't have the means to acquire these things.

Before I start to ramble on and on let me list the treasures I found this evening:

Things I'll keep:
- A really funky, Asian looking, paper lantern thing. Totally functional and very zen, perfect for my "studio" (more on that later).
- An awesome Simply Vera : Vera Wang purse, in black. Perfect condition.
- A Jones New York coat, size 4 (it was meant to be). Looks a lot like this one, but it only has 4 buttons. Has pet hair of some sort on it, so I'll probably get it dry cleaned.
- Bloch girls leather ballet shoes. Size 10 1/2, so I still have some time until Aliyah fits in them (she has notoriously small feet), but perfect condition.
- An old canvas print. It's ugly, but slap some gesso on it and I have a free canvas ;)
- Three push pins, because they are always handy lol.

Things I'll take to a thrift shop:
- An unopened package of water wings. We aren't allowed to use them at our community pool.
- Two really nice lampshades, seemed to have barely been used, but they aren't my style.
- A Safety First children's car shade.

Things I'll donate to a shelter or vet:
- Perfect condition cat scratching thing, even has a little poofy ball thingy to play with. Meow!
- Two throw pillows and two very luxurious Nautica towels. I'm sure some poor pup will find them comfy.

Things I haven't figured out what to do with yet:
- Foreign currency. Yup, someone literally threw money away. I mean, I know it's not really usable until you exchange it, but seriously? It's not alot: 3£ 55p, 1 piso, and 10 euro-cents. Why the different currency, we can only wonder.
- A My Little Pony puzzle. My Sweet Pea is currently a MLP fanatic, but she's not ready for a 24 piece puzzle yet. It's in fair condition, haven't decided to hang onto it or donate.

So a good haul today. It just blows my mind that people would throw things like this away. Most of these things are in pristine condition, and some weren't cheap. That purse for example, is still in stores and sells for $70! (yes, i know it's on sale right now, but that's not the point)  I don't know about you, but I'd have a hard time throwing out $70. I want to think that they hope someone will come along and pick them up, but most people think dumpster diving is "icky" or beneath them, and most aren't checking everyday for goodies like yours truly. Plus, the area is open to the elements so things can easily get ruined by rain. My only conclusion is that people are ignorant and lazy. Don't get me wrong, I know there are some things that really are at the end of their life, but so many aren't.

Sigh. It's always bittersweet to find spectacular treasures, so I just have to take it in stride and laugh.

I'd love to hear about any treasures you may have found, so keep an eye out!

Barbie, Dumpster Diver Extraordinaire

P.S - I'll add pictures tomorrow :)

1 comment:

  1. I would love to go "diving" with you sometime, Barbs! You found some good stuff!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear thoughts from family and friends, new and old. Thanks for reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...